Diogo Jorge, Johann Schulz-Greve
Nea Peramos (Νέα Πέραμος) is a suburb and a former municipality in West Attica, currently part of the Megara municipality. Located on the Saronic Gulf, eastern part of Megaris region, it is situated in between Megara (7km to the east) and Eleusis (11km to the west), having as physical borders the Motor Highway/Railway Station (north of the town connecting: Athens-Corinth / Athens-Kiato respectively) and the sea (south).
In 1922, after the tragedy of the Greek Army, the greek residents of Peramos were expelled from their town before the move of the Turkish Army and the rebels, ending up in Kavala and in Megara’s area. In order to restart their life, the Government of Eleftherios Venizelos provided this new location close to Megara that now we call Nea Peramos.
As landmark buildings/locations we should point out all the shore, the marina, the Church of St. George, the former Train Station connected to the old railway system, the municipal library and the two high rise housing complexes (dominating the skyline image of the town from far, even though they are in a questionable condition).
Nea Peramos is located at the foot of Pateras Mountains, close to the valley convergent point that leads towards to the sea. Most of the town center consists only of closed surfaces not allowing water to be seeped away. After harvest period, local farmers tend to burn their lands leaving the soil vulnerable to erosion. These three factors plus the bad or insufficient maintenance of the sewage led to a catastrophic flood in November 2017 when huge amounts of rain fell down over the region, resulting in a chaotic situation with destroyed ground floors, cars and boats and a devastated coastline. The catastrophe killed at least 15 people and flooded approximately 1000 houses, leaving a massive trail of devastation.
In response to the previous events we propose to: remove all the destroyed ground floors, leaving only the concrete structures with the exception of commercial or cultural sites that are reinforced in case of future occasions; connect the first floor of the selected buildings with platforms to compensate the loss of public space; replace the roads with “canal streets” filled with vegetation by removing the current sealed surface. The former density of the blocks is dissolved into a continious green space, with newly won carfree public space on top of it. The lost housing is compensated for by lightweight new wood buildings, added on top of the remaining skeleton structure.